Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Decision About Flowers

Here is the second day and I will be cheating again! I do sort of not go with the flow at times. This could be one of them.

Flowers are a must for a wedding. The bride has her own special bouquet as do the bridesmaids. There were some in church and two centre pieces on the head table. Which we gave to each of our mothers after the wedding. I know my mother still has hers. Bernie's, well I am not sure because she moved and with a move, purging happens.

You already know, if the mothers still have theirs, the flowers were not real. There were several reasons I did not have real. Twenty five years ago, real was not as fashionable as they are now. Some where in that time, keepsakes became the rage. Fake cakes to keep, bouquets to keep, a second garter to keep, matches with the bridal couples name and wedding date, napkins with your info on it, wedding souvenirs (mine were little bird bread doves which my mother made, about 500 of them!). You get the picture. We never had the match books. For people who were not superstitious, we believed that a match book some how contributed to a divorce. Weird, I know, but when Bernie was purging the many match books he collected from weddings, many of those marriages ended in divorce. We were not going to tamper with the match book spirits.

I had fake, artificial, silk flowers. Our wedding was also out in the country side so picking up fresh flowers could be an issue. What if it was hot!! The flowers would wilt, oh my that could be horrible that they would not last longer than the wedding day. It seemed the reasonable thing to do, is go silk. My flowers cost $300 and I worked as a counselor at a summer camp to make money to pay for the flowers.

Since my wedding day, I have received live flowers many times. Taken photos of them and truthfully they brought me an entire different joy. They actually have a fragrance where silk, nothing.  They will not last until the next anniversary, so that means, getting fresh ones again. Perhaps even a different colour and kind. Why would we not want flowers every anniversary? Think about this? If he gave us a bouquet of silk, artificial, fake flowers on our first anniversary, we truthfully could have them until our 25th. Every year, he goes down to the basement, pulls off the plastic covering them from getting dusty and says "Happy Anniversary, honey, I love you!"

Screech!!!! We know that never happens. If it has, they did not make it no where near their 25th.

I did love my bouquet. If I did this again, I would do live. My bouquet was stored in my trunk for many years. One day, it went into the dress up box of clothes. My daughter, neices and any other little girls who played dress up used it as their bouquet. I guess it brought continued joy. Truthfully, I think it finally saw it's better days and may have been trashed.

Yesterday, I got 2 dozen roses. When I was a teenager, I said, I would marry the man who gave me 2 dozen roses. I felt that if he loved me, a dozen is not enough to show me loves me. Dozen is standard, 2 is he is serious, he loves you and cherishes a commitment.  Well, I did because he did. I know I told him this when we were dating. It is nothing he has forgotten. It is not a deal breaker if I don't still get 2 dozen roses but it sure makes the deal sweeter if I do.


My bouquet in the classic wedding ring photo with a glimpse of my dress.


The 2 dozen roses I received for our 25th Anniversary. The Disney hats story will have to wait for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment